What Size Armoured Cable For EV Charger?
If you’re planning to install an Electric Vehicle (EV) charger at your home or business, one of the critical considerations is the size of the armoured cable you’ll need. The right cable size ensures safe and efficient charging for your electric vehicle. In this guide, we’ll explore the factors to consider when selecting the appropriate armoured cable size for your EV charger.
Understanding the Basics
Why Cable Size Matters
The size of the armoured cable is crucial because it determines the maximum current it can carry safely. For EV charging, this is especially important because a larger cable can handle higher currents, allowing for faster charging times. Using an undersized cable can lead to inefficiencies, overheating, and potential safety hazards.
Calculating Cable Size
To determine the correct cable size, you need to consider the following factors:
- Charger Capacity: Start by checking the capacity of your EV charger. Different chargers have different power ratings, typically measured in kilowatts (kW).
- Distance: Calculate the distance between your charger location and the electrical panel where the cable will be connected.
- Voltage: Most EV chargers operate at 240 volts (V) for residential use. However, commercial chargers may require higher voltage levels.
- Current Rating: Check the current rating of your charger. This is usually mentioned in amperes (A).
There are various types of armoured cables available, including:
- SWA (Steel Wire Armoured): Suitable for underground installations.
- SY (Shielded): Provides additional protection against electromagnetic interference.
- CY (Control): Ideal for installations that require data or signal transmission.
Think about your future needs. If you plan to upgrade your EV charger or add more charging stations, it’s wise to install a slightly larger cable to accommodate potential future upgrades without the need for rewiring.
Danlec UK’s Professional Advice
At Danlec, we understand the importance of choosing the right armoured cable for your EV charger. Our team of professionals can guide you through the selection process, ensuring that your charging infrastructure is safe, reliable, and efficient.
The correct armoured cable size is essential for safe and efficient EV charging. Consider charger capacity, distance, voltage, and current rating when choosing cable size. Danlec provides expert guidance to help you make the right choice for your EV charger installation. For any inquiries or assistance with your EV charger project, please don’t hesitate to contact us.