What Is A Tethered Ev Charger?
Electric vehicle (EV) ownership is on the rise, and as more people make the switch to cleaner and more sustainable transportation, understanding the different aspects of EV charging becomes essential. One important component of EV charging setups is the tethered EV charger. In this article, we’ll explore what tethered EV chargers are, their pros and cons, why they are needed, and how they compare to untethered EV chargers.
What Are Tethered EV Chargers?
There are two types of home electric vehicle chargers, tethered and untethered. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
A tethered EV charger is a type of charging station that comes with a permanently attached charging cable. This cable is typically designed to fit a specific type of electric vehicle, making it a convenient and user-friendly solution for EV owners.
Instead of needing to provide your own charging cable, you simply plug the tethered charger’s cable directly into your vehicle’s charging port.
What Are the Pros of Tethered EV Chargers?
Tethered EV chargers offer several advantages:
- Ease of Use: Tethered chargers are incredibly user-friendly. You don’t have to worry about carrying or storing a separate cable, making the charging process more convenient.
- Compatibility: The attached cable is designed specifically for your vehicle, ensuring a secure and efficient connection every time.
- Reduced Wear and Tear: Since you use the same cable repeatedly, there’s less wear and tear on the charging port of your EV.
What Are the Cons of Tethered EV Chargers?
However, there are some drawbacks to consider:
Limited Compatibility: Tethered chargers may not be compatible with all types of electric vehicles. If you switch to a different model, you might need a new charger.
Fixed Location: Tethered chargers are usually permanently installed in one location, limiting flexibility compared to portable chargers.
Why Do We Need A Tethered EV Charger?
Tethered EV chargers are essential for several reasons:
- Convenience: They simplify the charging process, making it more accessible for all EV owners, even those who are new to electric vehicles.
- Safety: Tethered chargers are designed to be safe and reliable, ensuring that your vehicle is charged securely.
- Efficiency: With a dedicated cable, there’s less chance of compatibility issues or cable wear, which can affect charging efficiency.
Tethered EV Charger vs. Untethered EV Charger
A common question among EV owners is whether to opt for a tethered or untethered charger.
Here’s a quick comparison:
- Tethered Charger: Convenient and user-friendly, but limited to specific vehicle models.
- Untethered Charger: Offers more flexibility as you can use your cable, but you need to carry and maintain the cable.
At DANLEC, we offer innovative solutions in the field of EV charging technology. Whether you prefer a tethered or untethered charger, we have the expertise to help you make the right choice for your electric vehicle charging needs.